Wednesday 13 January 2016

I Can Read

Participants infront of the Teka Lutheran Adult Literacy School.
“Seeing my Daddy read and write gives me pleasure and I want other parents in my village who are also illiterate to know how to read and write so that they too can help with their children’s upbringing,” Garry Tep said.He said their household has drastically changed since his Dad learnt how to read and write.
Garry is the son of Joe Tep, who is the Chairman of the Teka Lutheran Adult Literacy School in Dei District, Western Highlands Province.
“I didn’t have any basic education or I should say I never went to school my whole life but thanks to this literacy school, I can now read and write,” Mr. Tep said.
Joe says the literacy school has helped a lot of elderly men and women in his village to read and write. “I have always dreamed of reading the Holy Bible and now I can do so thoroughly,” he said.

Joe’s wife Ellis, who is also the Dei District Adult Literacy Coordinator says there has been much change in the community, and especially in her own home, since her husband learnt how to read and write.
“There is now evidence of time management, healthy lifestyle and a more coordinated approach by women in the village who have attended the literacy school, she said.
She says the objective is to expand and establish a literacy school at every community in Dei District to help the locals read and write not only in English but also in their native Melpa language.
The Teka Lutheran Adult Literacy School under the project titled ‘Strongim Wok Rid na Rait’ was funded by the Australian Government through the Strongim Pipol Strongim Nesen Program at a total cost of K75,983.

No comments:

Post a Comment