Wednesday 13 January 2016

I Want to Teach Women to Bake

Jessie during one of the trainings.
“My dream now is to impart my baking and cooking skills to my church members especially women so that they too can support their families like what I do,” said Mrs. Jessie Faio.
Mrs. Faio is a member of the Seventh Day Adventist and a women leader in the Church.She is the wife of the Ward Councilor in the Meii Community, Gulf province.Mrs. Faio and her two friends from the Seventh Day Adventist Church attended the Cooking and Baking Training while her husband attended the Basic Book Keeping training conducted by the Meii Salvation Army Home League.
The Meii Women’s Empowerment Project under the Meii Salvation Army Home League is supported by the Australian Government through the Strongim Pipol Strongim Nesen Program at a total cost of K42,185.82
“In the past, I baked with self-rising flour for my small market and only made enough for my family’s daily necessities. I had no knowledge to properly bake using correct measurements of yeast and other ingredients which always worried me,” Mrs. Faio said.“The training has helped me, I now bake more than enough to sell and also there’s leftovers for my family.”Her children and customers call it “rait skon (right scone),’’because it tastes similar to standard bakery products.
“I can bake bread, buns and cakes which my family and customers love and they sell in 20 to 30 minutes and I am back home doing other chores,” she said.
She said her husband supported her and bought a 50kg flour bag which costs K125.00 and she earned K300.00 from that.She added that her husband does the books and records the incomes and expenditures which really helps the family.“My husband is really helping me in this scone business to save money and also loves eating my scones,’’ she said with smile.“I recently used the scone money to open an account at Micro bank to support my daughter in school.”

No comments:

Post a Comment